One of the things I love is beauty related DIY’s. They are cheap, fun to do and work very good most of the time. A few days ago I made these green tea eye compresses that should reduce puffy eyes and dark circles. I always have puffy eyes so I think it’s more a genetic thing but I decided to try these out anyway.
It’s not a secret that green tea has many beauty benefits. It contains caffeine and tannins which both shrink the blood vessels under your skin and in this way the puffiness and dark circles. This sounds really scary but isn’t harmfull. Green tea also contains vitamin K which also should reduce puffiness and dark circles but there isn’t any proof that it works, but there’s also no proof that it doesn’t work. The eye compresses are cold and this also should help reduce the puffiness and/or dark circles.
This is how you make and use these compresses:
- Make some very strong green tea.
- Carefully dip a cotton pad in the green tea (the tea is still hot so be carefull you don’t burn your fingers).
- Put the cotton pad in a plastic seal bag and put them in the freezer overnight.
- Next morning take a cotton pad out the freezer and let it warm up. It shouldn’t be frozen when you put them under your eyes because THAT HURTS (been there, done that).
- Cut the cotton pad in half.
- If the cotton pads are still too cold to put them under your eyes you can warm them up a little between your hands.
- Put them under your eyes for 5 to 10 minutes. It should feel very nice and refreshing.
- Clean your skin afterwards.
I don’t see a huge difference afterwards because my puffy eyes aren’t sleep related but I still really like using them. I feel much more awake afterwards and it’s really refreshing. Let me know if you tried it out and if it worked for you!